Re: Desktop Background

David McWilliams wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm using Red Hat 9 (Shrike). On earlier versions of Red Hat, I used to
use a home made sh script that would go a retrieve an image from a
webcam, and display it on the root window using Imagemagick's 'display'
utility.  I switched off the Gnome background from within Nautilus,
under 'Edit... Preferences... Desktop & Trash... Use Nautilus to draw
the desktop & Use your home folder to draw the desktop'.

Now I am using RH9, with Gnome 2.2, of course, these mneu picks have
now gone. Anyone any idea how I can get my root window back.

A lot of things seem to have gone in Gnome 2 - I hope they still are there, only turned off. Eg. I miss the window position that is normally displayed in the middle of the screen. I also miss the neat feature I had in Gnome 1, where the window would stop (briefly) when it hit the edge. Why do all these useful features go missing? Sometimes it feels too much like somebody is selling out to the MSWindows crowd.

/jan