Running app icons on desktop?

Hi, all.  I realize that this is probably a WM issue, but I'm wondering if
anyone has any suggestions as to a WM that
a) runs under HP/UX 11.11, and
b) allows you to have the icons of running programs actually reside on the
desktop.

We're trying to wean one of our engineering managers from CDE to something
Gnome-ish, and this is by far his largest concern.  Thus far, I haven't
seen anything on Saw[fish|mill] that does the trick.

Any pointers would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

-Ken