Re: adding dead space to floating panels

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 08:36, Calum Benson wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 14:51, MArk Finlay wrote:
>
> > I agree with what you say for the other applets, and If gnome had a nice
> > GUI dialup program it would be great if it behaved as you describe. But
> > The Modem lights applet does more that just display info when the user
> > is online.
> >
> > I and a lot of other users use it to dial up too ..
>
> That just sounds like a dodgy user model to me, though[1], I suspect a
> new user would probably look for Actions->Connect to Internet or a

What if you never need to connect to the internet? (ie. cable modem
users) this menu entry wouldn't make much sense now would it...

> dial-up icon on their desktop or something...

Perhaps a better approach would be to popup a dial-up dialog whenever a
user tries to access remote content and no internet connection is
detected (oh and assuming the computer has a modem installed). i believe
windows works this way.

dave