Re: Installing GTK themes

On Tue, 2003-12-30 at 02:13, Davy Obdam wrote:
> Hi Shaun,
>
> Thanks for your quick response, I have checked for the
> /usr/local/share/themes/Industrial dir and this existed (deleted it?),
> then i did
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
> make
> make install
>
> Now its installed in /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.2.2/enigines . I see  3 files
> there which are from the industrial theme.. libindustrial.a,
> libindustrial.la and libindustrial.so.
>
> When i go to Applications >Preferences > Theme, and then go to Theme
> details to select Industrial in control i still dont see it there?
> Is there anything else i should do? Thanks for you time.

All right, so from your previous post it looks like you understand that
there are different kinds of themes.  So basically, you have three kinds
of themes that make up a "GNOME theme", which are the three sections
under "Desktop Themes" on art.gnome.org.

Normally, a complete theme will install a special 'index.theme' file
that gives the theme a name and references the three parts.  The themes
you see listed in the Theme Preferences are only those that have this
file.

But the none of the Industrial theme components on art.gnome.org seem to
install this file.  So while you may have them all installed, you won't
see the Industrial theme in the list of themes.  However, if you click
on 'Theme Details', you'll be able to pick each theme separately, and
you should see Industrial show up under Controls (and Window Border,
since you said you've installed the Metacity theme).

It's a bit of a pain, though it's better than it used to be.  By the
way, you can get the entire Industrial theme (including the icon theme
and index.theme file as well) from an RPM here:

http://ftp.ximian.com/pub/xd2/redhat-9-i386/ximian-artwork-0.2.29-0.ximian.6.3.i386.rpm

--
Shaun