Re: Newb questions....

--- Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 20:54, Eric Pierce wrote:
> > (damn... 1st post and I screw up the Subject!)
> >
> > Hi ho,
> >
> > I'm attemping to transition from IceWM to Gnome,
> and I
> > have a few Gnome questions.
> >
> > #1.  How do I tie a keyboard shortcut to an and/or
> > nice long Rxvt load string (or any app for that
> > matter) something like:
> > rxvt -geometry 156x58 -name MC -fg white -bg black
> -sl
> > 3000 -st -e mc ~/
>
> This is a hidden feature.  Open the program
> 'gconf-editor' (located
> under System Tools as Configuration Editor) and
> browse to
>
> /apps/metacity/global_keybindings
>
> There's a set of keys in there named run_command_n
> for n from 1 to 12.
> Pick an unused one (they're probably all unused) and
> set the value to
> some key sequence.  You can look at some of the
> other keybindings in
> there to see the format.  Now go to
>
> /apps/metacity/keybinding_commands
>
> There are 12 keys of the form command_n.  Pick the
> corresponding one,
> and type in your command.  It should now work.

Beautiful!

> > #2.  How do I get Gkrellm to automatically load on
> all
> > desktops and not be focusable?
>
> There's a GNOME configuration plugin for GKrellM.
> Look at the very
> bottom of the page of
>
> http://web.wt.net/~billw/gkrellm/Plugins.html

I tried the plug-in.  It's fairly out of date (last
update ~01/2001 - Gkrellm 1.*).  However, there's a
note just below the download links: GKrellM2 has
builtin EWMH (Extended Window Manager Hints) options.
This is gold!  Under Gkrellm: Conf.-> Gen. ->
Properties tab, it's all there!  You can set the
sticky state, put Gkrellm below other windows, etc.
Once again, beautiful.

Thank you so very much for helping me out!

Obligatorily yours,
Eric Pierce