Re: mtime and muser

Hi Janyne,

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 07:02, Janyne Kizer wrote:
> What do the mtime and muser entries refer to?
>
> mtime="1070651383" muser="emma"
>
> What I am getting at is if I set my environment up to copy the
> appropriate %gconf.xml files into each user's home directory, how
> important are these entries?  When I tested it, everything seemed to
> work fine (when I used the one test id's files in a second test id's
> account) but I figured better safe than sorry so I thought that I'd ask.
>   I didn't see anything in the documentation regarding what they are but
> I may have missed it.

In general, you will probably get more detailed answers to gconf
specific questions on the gconf list.

However to answer your question: mtime and muser are the time and user
who last modified the value. GConf will keep these values up to date (if
they exist, which is not compulsory), but it doesn't do anything with
them as far as checking things.

If you are interested in the code that works with these values, it is in
gconf/backends/markup-tree.c and gconf/backends/xml-entry.c. They are
accessible in programs, but otherwise ignored.

Short answer: you can essentially ignore them. :-)

Cheers,
Malcolm