Re: change num pad behaviour

> I disgree with your labeling it a "misfeature", although I can see that
> it may be inconvenient, depending on what you do with your numpad.
> IMHO, the numpad should generate the character that is used as a decimal
> point in that locale. And, not to forget, it should generate the
> character that is printed on the actual key. In my locale, de_DE, a
> comma is used as a decimal delimiter, and the point is used to group
> numbers. I.e., a million and two cents are 1.000.000,02. It certainly
> makes sense then to make the numpad generate the comma. Also, "," is
> printed on the key.

Pressing a key should generate what is printed on the key. Nothing else.

Breaking a working and well-known behavior IS a misfeature.

For my Portuguese (pt_BR) language too. The comma is the decimal
delimiter and the point is used to group numbers. But the key has a
point printed on it, not a comma. As I said, Brazilians who have
American keyboards use the us-intl keymap. The keymap is the same from
decades, including in other operating systems.

> I find it irritating that all browsers I tried don't get this right:
> Epiphany and Galeon display a comma in the URL field, but a point in
> text entry boxes of web pages. Mozilla displays a point everywhere.

Yes. Using the keypad, I can't type IP addresses in the terminal anymore
because it prints commas. And in OOo Calc, it prints points. Insane, at
minimum.

--
Fabio Gomes de Souza <fabio gs2 com br> Fone: (81) 9127-0597

GS2 TECNOLOGIA DA INFORMACAO LTDA
 - Infra-estrutura de TI, seguranca, sistemas embutidos e Linux
 - Consultoria, planejamento, implementacao e gerenciamento

http://www.gs2.com.br negocios gs2 com br (81) 3492-7777