Re: shoot Gnome1 !

On Wed, 2003-08-20 at 12:51, lsiden wrote:
> > .gconf is for GNOME2.  .gnome is for GNOME1.  I personally don't have a
> > ~/.gnome dir, since I don't have any GNOME1 apps left.
> >
> > So far as preferred apps setting not working... yes, that sub-system is
> > the hugest buggiest piece of crap in GNOME.  It needs to be slaughtered
> > and rewritten.  It's been on various TODO lists for a while; hopefully
> > before 2.6 someone with the skill and time tackles it.
>
> So you bring up another interesting topic!  How can I blow away Gnome1
> without breaking anything?  How can I know which apps and components are
> Gnome1 vs. Gnome2?
>
> I use the Gentoo distro w/ Portage and it's easy for me to "unmerge"
> packages, but not so easy to determine that I haven't blown away
> something that something else might depend on.

Not sure on the Gentoo specifics; basically, any app that depends on a
GNOME1 package is, well, GNOME1.  I've no clue how Gentoo names
packages, so I can't help sort that out too well; if it's like most
other distros, GNOME1 packages will often be called gnome-foo, and the
GNOME2 version will be gnome-foo2.

You can also look at glib (and, to a lesser extend, gtk) dependencies
for GNOME apps.