Re: Enhanced Gnome tools

%% Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com> writes:

  sm> Grouping seems to do for me in GNOME2.3 what it did in 1.4;
  sm> bunches of windows get put into one button which makes a drop-down
  sm> list.

  >> Odd.  Havoc Pennington said there was an open bug about it.  You'd
  >> think if it were implemented already someone would have closed the
  >> bug.  I'll look.

  hp> It's not implemented (well, there's grouping, but it groups
  hp> windows in the same process, not windows in the same class).

OK, I see.  For instance if I have multiple Galeon windows or OOo docs
open they get grouped together.

But, there must be something more to it than that, because when I have
multiple Emacs frames open _they_ don't get grouped together, and
they're all in the same process of course.  Is there some kind of
special EWMH hint or something an application has to support to allow
this to work?

  hp> In fact writing an entirely new window list is a weekend project;
  hp> "libwnck" does all the hard parts and contains all the complex code,
  hp> you just have to code up whatever specific GUI you want.

  hp> The window menu someone else mentioned is already available as an
  hp> applet, but if it weren't, here's how hard it is to write using
  hp> libwnck:

  hp>  [hp dhcppc3 libwnck]$ wc -l window-menu.c
  hp>     129 window-menu.c

It would be nice if you published that code :)

I can't seem to find any docs for this library, or even any CVS archive
to look at the sources...  I'll keep looking.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortelnetworks com>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools