Starting Gnome2 in SuSe 8.2

I apologize for incompetence but I am unable to start Gnome in SuSe 8.2.  I
had no such problem with 8.1.  As to the graphical interface, SuSe offers
only the default, KDE, and safe options and using the system configuration
tool provides no help.  Via the konsole, this happens:

joebennett linux:~> startx gnome2

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
Please report problems to http:/www.suse.de/feedback.

An attempt to remove the lock is not permitted, even when logged in as root.
SuSe's help system does not cover this situation.  As a matter of note, I
have installed the entire gnome system in the thought that I might have
missed a critical file.  Also, parts of the system, such as gimp and gnucash
are available and up and running.  But I can't get to the desk graphics.

I surely would appreciate some help.

Joe Bennett
(Alone in Dearborn, Michigan)