Re: Network proxy port limitation

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 06:13, Charlie Cano wrote:
> Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but is this something I can
> manually fix on my system right away (that is, in a conf file or
> something somewhere)?  Or do I need to wait for the next release?

You can do it now if you have gnome-vfs modules that were built after
August 12 (i.e. a couple of days ago). The gnome-vfs-2.3.7 tarball
nominally had the required changes, but it contained at least two bugs
that would prevent it working correctly for a lot of people.

If you have a recent enough gnome-vfs, then the instructions for setting
the ignore hosts is

gconftool-2 --type=list --list-type=string --set
/system/http_proxy/ignore_hosts [localhost,127.0.0.0/8]

(all on one line). To add more hosts, just extend the bit in [...]
above. Note that because gconftool-2 is pretty inflexible in its parsing
of input, you cannot have spaces after the commas in the above list. The
list items are hostnames, IP host addresses, or network addresses (in
CIDR format). See bug #112979 in GNOME's bugzilla for the full list of
address formats that are processed.

Note also that recent Epiphany and Galeon builds also respect these
settings (although they do not use gnome-vfs).

Cheers,
Malcolm