Using FVWM with Gnome2

I posted this to the fvwm list but then though it might be useful to
post here as well.

At work we just migrated to Red Hat 8.0.  The WM that comes with
Gnome2/Bluecurve is _sooo_ feature-free (no way to send a window to the
back?!?!) that I couldn't stand it for more than a few seconds, so I
switched back to FVWM, although I want to keep the Gnome setup (panel,
etc.) because we have some company customizations, etc. there.  I
followed the advice of various people on the Web and killed metacity,
started fvwm, then saved my session.  Worked fine (basically).

Overall I'm not having too many problems.  But, one thing that's
annoying is that the Gnome splash screen never disappears by itself.  It
goes along showing the icons of all the stuff it's loading until it gets
to (I suppose) the WM, then it just sits there.

I can click on it and it goes away, so it's not show-stopping, but it is
annoying as it covers up my SSH key add dialog, etc.

I suspect that the splash screen is waiting for some kind of
notification from the WM that it's up and running before it proceeds; I
don't remember having this problem with Gnome 1.4 on my Debian box so I
guess it's new in Gnome 2 (or, maybe, in Bluecurve?)

Anyone know what's up here?  Is there some kind of WM hint or something
the splash screen is waiting for?  I'm using FVWM 2.5.6.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith nortelnetworks com>   HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools