gnome2 repair

I've had a series of problems with gnome2 (RedHat 8.0), and need to
understand better how to manipulate all the configuration files in  a
user's home directory.

For example, I can't change keyboard settings in
redhat-config-keyboard for one user, for when I disable access after
configuring, the settings I entered into the dialog disappear. So I
know there's a problem somewhere in one of the .gnome configuration
files for that user, such as with its permissions.

I'd appreciate a pointer to some documentation on these files. I'd
like to find out what the various files do, and perhaps gain  some
idea how to edit them easily.

Haines Brown