event sound problems in gnome2

	I'm having problems getting event sounds to work in gnome2
applications. The actual gnome sounds work, xmms output via esound
works, and sawfish has sound, but no other gnome programs work. I have
tested the majority of the programs that have config options in the
sound capplet, and every one I've tested is without sound. This is gnome
2.2 under debian sid, kernel 2.4.18.
	Thanx in Advance,
--
Kenny Pearce