Re: Gnome2 and Enlightenment

On Sat, 2003-04-12 at 00:10, Haines Brown wrote:
> > I perceive that E17's goal is to NOT be usable with KDE or Gnome...that
> > it's ultimate goal is to BE a complete desktop alternative...
>
> So I gather. Does this imply E17 will not tolerate gnome applications
> such as gnome-panel, with its gnome window list and destkop switcher?
> I gather I'm not the only one rather attached to an organization of
> menus, launchers, applets, etc. along a border of the desktop rather
> than rely on icons scattered about the desktop in the fashion of
> Windows.
>
> Haines Brown

Enlightenment is forgiving enough - even at the stage it's at now - to
be able to either allow the gnome-panel to run (or ROX for that matter)
and have something else take over the desktop functionality - the goal
is to make it do whatever you want it to do - as it does now - but
ultimately, the aim of E is to be a complete package - so whether or not
you want to make use of all the bits and bobs from that package are
completely up to the end user - and allowance is made so that you can do
as you so desire with it...

Just a few months back, I ran across a "special distro" of linux - can't
quite remember the name of it - something like "Evil Darkness" or some
such silliness - but the entire distro was based on using E17 as the
complete desktop/GUI - didn't have time to grab it or play with it, but
did read through all the stuff on the site - and was quite interesting
in that it was complete managed by E - completely - and looked quite
nice - and one of the users of this package had setup their system with
the gnome-panel to give it even more functionality - and appeared to be
guite nicely done...

I've hacked at my Gnome2 to see how well Sawfish worked, then once that
was accomplished, to see how well it did with Enlightenment - and it
worked, but still needed some attention...but it did play nicely...was
just a matter of configuring it and Gnome nicely enough...

--
Sat Apr 12 05:55:00 EST 2003
 05:55:00 up 21 days, 17:35,  3 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.22, 0.25
|            __    __          | kuhn media australia            |
|           / ,, /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com           |
|          .\__/ || |   |      |=================================|
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kuhn                    |
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: skuhn telpacific com au |
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: stephen kuhn gmx net    |
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808                 |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389            |
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU   |
 linux user:267497 * MDK 9.1 * PC/Mac/Linux/Networking/Consulting
 machine no:194239 * RH 7.3 * Sales - Service - Support - Tutor
** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **

I am so optimistic about beef prices that I've just leased a pot roast
with an option to buy.