Re: Bitmap fonts

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:07:49PM -0300, Mariano Suarez-Alvarez wrote:

> After installing slackware 9.0 and recompiler the whole of 2.2.1 gnome, I
> found that the bitmap fonts (eg, the X `core fonts,' among which ranks most
> prominently the fixed family) have disappeard from all font-selection
> dialogs, like the one on gnome-terminal or applications:///Preferences/Font.
>
> Apparently the fontconfig guys have decided that bitmap fonts are too ugly
> (I actually read that somewhere, though I can't find it again now)
>
> Anyone knows how to make them available again to the GNOME apps?

Add them to the fontconfig configuration. Look at
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf, the <dir> elements list the dirs
where you can put fonts that fontconfig will find.

At least some versions of fontconfig require the bitmap fonts to be
uncompressed (not gzip'd)

You can edit /etc/fonts/local.conf (included by fonts.conf) to add
additional directories, or just move fonts to one of the existing
<dir>

Havoc