GDK_USE_XFT=1 loses truetype fonts

Thanks to the 'What's yours look like' thread on the gentoo forums, I've
been trying to get the font SF Grunge Sans to work for my nautilus desktop
font...  anyway, after lots of fighting I finally figured out the font
wierdness that's been haunting me for ages, in a way. Basically waht
was happening was taht I was installing fonts properly, as everyone else
does, but they weren't showing up under gnome2.

In my testing I ended up just running startx, instead of using gdm,
because of having to restart X all the time for the fontpath config,
xftconfig, etc.

Anyway, I *finally* got them going, was all happy and overjoyed, and
figured I'd restart with gdm. Suddenly all the fonts taht I just had
access to were gone, and my desktop font (chosen sf grunge sans) turned
into something else.

Anyway, I discovered that if I had GDK_USE_XFT=1 in my .xinitrc a bunch
of my new truetype fonts were gone.... if I took it out, they came back.
I assume that because the gdm session file for gnome hsa GDK_USE_XFT=1
at the top that this is the reason why this was happening under GDM.

Anyone have similar problems, or any clue on how to solve them? I can
use startx instead of GDM, but I'd rather not. Just FYI, I'm using the
latest gnome in gentoo, and installing my truetype fonts by sticking them in
/usr/lib/X11/fonts/mytruetype, then goinginto that directory and running
ttmkfdir -c -o fonts.scale && mkfontdir.  The mytruetype directory is
included in the dirs in /etc/X11/XftConfig

Please Help!

Regards,

Alan

--
Alan "Arcterex" <alan ufies org>   -=][=-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I