Re: nautilus sux

> > > This I have never seen.  Perhaps it's related to your environment
>
> Given "the usual borders of... are missing", I wonder whether there
> is no window manager running. Are the titlebars of windows missing
> too? (The "taskbar" is the panel, btw.)
>
> > > setting in .xinitrc.  Perhaps a screen shot would help visualize what
> > > you're seeing.

I used to get this all the time - never solved it. That's why I started using
KDE (the horror!). It wasn't until very recently, with Gnome's complete
makeover, that I got my window managers back. By the way, I had been using
Sawfish as my window manager. It happened so long ago, I'm not exactly sure
when ... maybe at Sawfish 1.0? No, that wasn't it ... maybe Mandrake 8.0 ...
it was over a year ago, anyway. I'm pretty much wedded to KDE now, though,
but I still keep up the Gnome upgrades and boot into it occasionally.

I never tried killing nautilus to bring back my window frames, but then I was
always presented with a dialog box saying that "no window manager is present"
so it would have seemed pointless. The Sawfish control center just locked up
the machine so hard that I hard to reboot with the power strip. (That was
before I found this list.)

Jay
aka "Florida Yankee"

--
This message has been approved by the Council of Lemurs