Reconnecting to an existing remote session via XDMCP

I use cygwin's XWin.exe to connect to a remote linux
box via XDMCP (i use gdm). Each time I login I get a
fresh desktop and when I disconnect the desktop and
(almost) all my applications are killed. Would it be
possible to keep the desktop and apps runinng so that
I could later reconnect to this desktop - a feature
that the Windows terminal server has.

Thanks, Bernard