Re: Reconnecting to an existing remote session via XDMCP

It's different. Terminal Service in Windows family is like Citrix or VNC,
where info changed in the display of the server session is sended to to the
client, and input devices signals in to the client are interpreted and
sended to the server. Unix X server/client  is using X protocol ( based in
messages ) where you're running an X server localy in your machine, but
executing all the rest of your graphical session ( window manager, desktop
and GUI applications ) in the server, all this depends on a gdm/kdm/xdm
process "linked to your local X server" ( isn't it really, but I say this
to make more easy to understand for him why the server process are killed
when he disconnects ). When you disconnect from the session ( for example
reseting your machine by the hard way ) the connection between your X
server and the gdm/kdm/xdm application is lost and 'cause all other process
depends on this connection, they lose is parent process an they are killed.
I think that is possible to get that you want using frame-buffered
connections but this list in about gnome, not about Xservers. Join a
Xfree86.org mailing list, they can guide you to run your sessions like you
want.

Regards

Bernard Zenko <bernardze yahoo com>@gnome.org con fecha 13/11/2002 04:28:07
p.m.

Enviado por:   gnome-list-admin gnome org

Destinatarios:     gnome-list gnome org
CC:

Asunto:   Reconnecting to an existing remote session via XDMCP

I use cygwin's XWin.exe to connect to a remote linux
box via XDMCP (i use gdm). Each time I login I get a
fresh desktop and when I disconnect the desktop and
(almost) all my applications are killed. Would it be
possible to keep the desktop and apps runinng so that
I could later reconnect to this desktop - a feature
that the Windows terminal server has.

Thanks, Bernard