No fonts in GNOME 2

I just installed GNOME 2 from the GNOME 2 Red Carpet channell.  Previously
I had Ximian GNOME 1.4

Now I have no fonts.  The GDM login text box for usernae/password is about
an eight of an inch tall, and the menus are simply dots, and are emty.

I cna enter my user name and password, and it works,  but still there is
not text.

Writing this via pine on my serial console. :)

Has anyone seen this before?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as
I'm pretty screwed at this point.  I expected some problems (this is beta
after all) but this is crazy.

Ximian GNOME, Evolution, LTSP, and RedHat Linux + LVM & XFS