Re: hello all

> Hmm, what exactly is your problem with having KDE libs around and just
> using KDE apps if they fit ? Unless you are short on disk space of course.
> I don't think going for "desktop purity" is a wise idea.
don't worry, I'm not a purist, I'm really low on space!

> KMatPlot -> Guppi
> KMail -> Evolution
> KMeriln -> Gaim
> floppy disk formatter: gfloppy
> CPU and network monitors: panel applets
THANKS!!! exactly what i wanted, I'm looking at guppi now it doesn't look
adaptable enough, but i spied out scigraphica, which looks like it could do
what i want!
http://scigraphica.sourceforge.net/

but i would be keen to hear about ANY graphing programs anyone likes for 3d
and pixmap plotting, however i don't think i will ever find an alternative
for XMGrace (2D plotting)... if anyone knows anything to rival that... then,
well, we'll see.

OK, I'm sold on GNOME, i have the Linux from Scratch hint for compiling...
what version of gnome is recommended? there are a LOT of dependencies how
much space would gnome + deps cost me? i already have gtk+1.2, what
dependencies do people think i could skip... i don't really care much for the
file manager/ web browser.

also, the reason i used KDE in the first place was because i could make the
task bar as small as i want... i have only ever been able to shrink the icons
in GNOME, is the task bar size adaptable?

i heard a new beta is out... is that worthwhile, is it source/binary
compatible with the apps listed above?

thanks again!
Sam