Logout Crash - RH7.1

I am currently running Red Hat 7.1 on my PII400, 128 Mb RAM. The problem than I am experiencing is a complete system halt (no mouse, no keyboard) upon selecting the Logout from the Gnome Main Menu. I have to turn the power off to restart the system (ctrl-alt keys have no effect). This has been seen using the Red Hat Gnome and the Ximian Gnome 1.4 (I was hoping that Ximian's would be different).

The KDE desktop works just fine.

Are there any fixes for this problem? I cannot access any shells for troubleshooting.

Plantiful