Weird alignment of panel components

I've added a picture of the gnome panel below to clearly explain my problem:

Basically, I was playing with the panel properties and I modified the panel type (now edge type) but the stubborn
foot refuses to go back to the left edge. When I add more launchers to the panel they appear to the left of this
pad. How do I realign this pad?

TIA,
Henry
--

I didn't say it would be easy. I just said it would be the truth.
-Morpheus