RE: Will Gnome _EVER_ be stable?

Havoc Pennington wrote:
----------------->>>>
Sounds like you have a bug in one applet.

 - what applets do you have on your panel
 - what version of gnome-core and gnome-applets
 - does ~/.xsession-errors contain any output
 - if you use session-properties to remove the panel from
   the session manually, perhaps you can get the panel
   to crash without having to log out, in order to
   read the dialog.

----------------->>>>
Hay Havoc

On one of my old systems (486-50 updated with a AMD 586-100 and 64MB RAM)
and some funky video card... HP Ultra VGA) has some similar problems.  Here
is the specifics:  I can only use the XF86 VGA server in 640 x 480 x 8 (or
it might be 16) mode.  After installing RH 72 (and of course GNOME) I
started my xserver and the desktop appears then the bottom panel, a couple
applets appear (in the none complete icon state) and before they gain the
full icon state of the applet, the panel applet crashes leaving no panels on
the desktop.  I'm able to start a terminal and call any program but the
panel applets always crash.  At this point I was not sure if this is the
panel or the panel applets.  So knowing how great Ximian is I loaded it up
hoping maybe my problems would be solved.  The install went great.  Then
starting of the new Ximian GNOME desktop crashed at Doorman, then at the
Panel applet as it did with the initial GNOME.

I know this is an old system and it's purpose is singular on our network, so
I usually vncviewer into this system, which also works fine (except for the
above mentioned crashes).  I use vnc because I can set the desktop to a
range higher than the hardware will allow.  However, the aforementioned
errors happen in both the vncserver and sitting at the system.

Anyway, why all this info?  Every system but this one works great, but this
one has a problem with something in the GNOME panel and Doorman startup.
The X messages are cryptic so I don't really know if there is anything I can
do.  Just wanted to add this in case your searching for a solution and need
another set of eyes.