ANNOUNCE: GDM 2.2.5.5, the "Bad, Bad Maintainer" release

THISISTHEENDMYONLYFRIENDTHEEND

Yes, I completely forgot to make a new release when I should have, so here
it is anyway to fix my mistake.  A few important fixes are in, so I'd
suggest upgrading.  Yes, I have been very lazy at doing this maintainer
stuff recently due to the aquisition of a little bit more life then I had
previously.  Not to mention that I now have to like ... work ... and not on
GNOME :)

And now for the standard part of the release announcement:

Ahh, so you have no clue what gdm is?  Well if you've read this far ... let's
not get into that.  Gdm is GNOME Display Manager, the little daemon that lets
you log in to your computer.  It allows xdmcp multiple login displays,
selection of languages, multiple login sessions and generally is much cooler
then any xdm clone out there, mostly cuz it isn't an xdm clone to begin with.
I mean heck, it's even got a graphical configurator, so you don't have to use
the command line to hose your system anymore.

News:
=====

Highlights of 2.2.5.5:

- Security: Unknown users are treated just like bad authentication

- Increase welcome string limit to 2048 for long welcome messages, though
  you should really be careful with such large sizes

- Fixed typos (Karsten Weiss, me)

- Documentation updates (Pablo Saratxaga)

- Translation updates (Abel Cheung, Pablo Saratxaga, Alexander Shopov,
  Kjartan Maraas, Stanislav Visnovsky, Tőivo Leedjärv, Zbigniew Chyla,
  Christian Meyer, Karsten Weiss, Christian Rose, Duarte Loreto,
  Christophe Merlet, Ole Laursen, GNOME PL Team, P. Cholakov,
  T. Buyukliev)

Note:  Gdm2 was originally written by Martin K. Petersen <mkp mkp net>,
and is now maintained by the Queen of England.  Although when she's not
answering her email I usually cover for her.

Note2:  If installing from the tarball do note that make install
overwrites most of the setup files, all except gdm.conf and gnomerc.
It will however save backups with the .orig extension first.

Note3:  Distributors, packagers.  Please, PLEASE use the standard Gnome
script when setting things up as gnome, or at least equivalently working
scripts.  It should never be OK to just exec gnome-session, that is
considered bad form.  The script needs to read (if available) the
~/.gnomerc and otherwise read the <sysconfdir>/gdm/gnomerc file.  This
allows users and administrators to setup custom startup for gnome.

Downloading:
============

ftp://ftp.5z.com/pub/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/sources/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/i386/gdm/
http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/SRPMS/gdm/

This should also be available at some point:

http://download.gnome.org/GNOME/stable/redhat/alpha/gdm/

Have fun,

George

PS:  I AM THE WALRUS!!!