Re: Gnome does not close

On Friday 08 March 2002 07:08 am, Geoffrey wrote:
> At one time I thought I had the same problem, but it was really
> because I wasn't waiting long enough.  I would guess it's dependent
> upon all the things you have running when you attempt to exit.
> I've never timed it, but I would estimate that it had been > a
> minute, which would seem a long time.  I'd give it another shot and
> give it too much time, say 5 minutes.  It's worth the test, unless
> you've already attempted this.
> Andres Montiel wrote:
> > I have RedHat 7.2 on my system. I have been logging on and
> > choosing KDE as my window manager from the menu log on menu.
> > Recently, I tried using Gnome. Everything works okay, until I
> > choose to exit, that is. Gnome doesn't close. I have to press
> > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill xwindows.
> >
> > What could I do to solve this dilemma?

   I've been meaning to write about this.  I often have the same
problem and I'm using FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE.  What I have happening is
that I click on the taskbar|logout button and gnome just freezes.
The panels at the bottom and top of the screen remain, but become
totally unresponsive.  I haven't waited over a minute, but I think
that's a bit much -- especially when I have already quit all the
applications I've started in my login session.  Fortunately, Gnome
doesn't kill the window manager when this happens, so I just use my
window manager's root-screen menu to start an xterm, through which I
kill gnome-session.  (Fwiw, I've used Sawfish wm when Gnome's had
this behavior.)
   In regard to a previous helper's post, I do use Netscape, though
I'm not sure if I've used it every time that my Gnome session won't
close.  I do know this: it hasn't happened after Netscape crashed,
because Netscape has never crashed on my system.  (That,
incidentally, is precisely what made me try FreeBSD a few years ago:
Netscape kept bringing my Linux box to its knees.)

"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find
out what they want and then advise them to do it." -- Harry S. Truman
(1884 - 1972)