RE: GNOME info

On Fri, 2002-03-01 at 09:59, Staven Bruce wrote:

> If I can digress for just a moment, I am use to Sun Solaris boxes, which, at
> my previous company, booted to something akin to classic X windows. Are you
> suggesting that I utilize that, or just go with no GUI at all and boot
> directly to the prompt? I am just curious as to what you are suggesting, as
> I find it an intersting alternative,

Yes. I am suggesting having no X Windows on the servers at all, just a
terminal console. It takes less overhead resources this way, and doesn't
open you up to remote Xsession attacks either. Yes, I know X can be told
"-nolisten tcp", but that's just a bandaid.

> however, our other admins are all
> Windows Admins and my concern is that if there is no GUI, they will be lost.
> Thoughts?

Well, the suggestion of webmin was a pretty good one for that situation.
Not to be difficult, but can't MCSEs learn something new and useful once
in a while? Must everything be "point, click, and drool"?! Just whining
because I've heard too many NT admins complain that *NIX it too hard to
learn. Didn't any of your NT admins every use DOS? tell them it's just
like DOS, but more powerful! Enough power to shoot off your foot or bulk
porno emails.

geoffrey
--
no .sig