RE: GNOME info

-----Original Message-----
From: geoffrey [mailto:geoffrey ticom com]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 1:33 PM
To: gnome-list gnome org
Subject: Re: GNOME info

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 15:38, Staven Bruce wrote:

> > Our Office is in the process of implementing serveral Linux servers for
> > everything from BIND to NFS to APACHE. My posistion is that GNOME is a
> > lightweight, flexible UI to standardize on for all of our servers.
However,
> > we have some pretty KDE focused folks in the group and I am trying to
come
> > up with every possible reason I can as to why we shouldn't use KDE on
our
> > servers. Any reasons, ideas, rants you might have would be appreciated!

>Okay, these are servers we are talking about. Why are they running X and
>a wm/Desktop Environment anyway? Servers need only a console -
>especially if you plan to expose them to the Internet! Reason for not
>using KDE (or GNOME for that matter) on your **servers**: they shouldn't
>be running a gui in the first place!! Now, running the ltsp setup is a
>different matter altogether.
>
>geoffrey
>--
>No .sig

If I can digress for just a moment, I am use to Sun Solaris boxes, which, at
my previous company, booted to something akin to classic X windows. Are you
suggesting that I utilize that, or just go with no GUI at all and boot
directly to the prompt? I am just curious as to what you are suggesting, as
I find it an intersting alternative, however, our other admins are all
Windows Admins and my concern is that if there is no GUI, they will be lost.
Thoughts?