Auto Opening RPM And Gzipped Files?

Hi all,

Is there any way to be able to double click on rpm's or gzipped files in
a file manager and have a program automatically open them so you can
specify where you want to install them, etc?

I am familiar with the File Types and Programs panel in the Gnome
Control Center, but I could not find a gui program capable of working
with Gnome.  I experimented with Gnozip for a while and got it to open
when I double clicked a compressed file, but couldn't figure out how to
pass the file to it.  Not very useful.

Has anybody got this working on their system? For rpms? For compressed
files?  I'm running Ximian Gnome on Red Hat 7.2.  Thanks

Bill