Re: Drap and Drop In Gnome 2

On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 02:20:34AM +0100, Mark Cooke wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 01:48, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
>
> [..]
>
> > How old is your GNOME 2 installation
>
> Rc1
>
> Also, is your home directory NFS mounted? There are some
> > known problems (some fixed recently, some punted until 2.0.1) regarding
> > NFS directories.
>
> Yup.. (which would explain the error, thinking about it logically!)
> I never gave this a second thought, as It's never given any problems
> before.
>
> Do you know if these will be fixed before the final release?

Nothing will change before 2.0.0 from the release candidates. Some
changes will probably go into 2.0.1.

The problem is that Nautilus uses a check called is_local() in gnome-vfs
to work out if the directory is local, if accesses to it will be fast,
if access is likely to be permitted and some other things. When the
gnome-vfs guys tightened up the return values of is_local(), the
problems in Nautilus arose.

Have at look at bugs #83209 and #82644, for example.

Cheers,
Malcolm

CC'ing to gnome-list so that others may also benefit.