Re: RH7.3/ximian desktop- Double icons on desktop

I suppose this could be this : these icons are the desktop icons of gmc - aka Gnome Midnight Commander - (because gmc is also a desktop manager). These represent the same files as the icons displayed by nautilus on the desktop.
But you can run gmc as a file manager only (and nautilus too).
They have command line options to avoid the display of the desktop.

In a terminal, you can type : gmc --nodesktop For nautilus it's :
nautilus --no-desktop  (for nautilus)

So if you want to launch gmc from the panel without the desktop icons, just modify the launcher.
You can use gmenu -as root- to modify the entries of the gnome menu.
Maybe there is another tool in RedHat for distribution wide menus (in order to have the same menus in Gnome, Kde, Wmaker, etc.). I don't know it.

Conclusion : this isn't a bug of gmc, it's a "bug" in the panel entry for gmc.

If you want to know the command line options of a programm, usually you can type in a terminal :

name_of_the_program --help

You get a list of the options

Bertrand Dekoninck.

Fu #ed up. Ain't it.
I don't know if anyone will fix it.
However nautilus2 is getting to be pretty fast.

A bug report may get it fixed ??

I wonder sometimes if developers use their own
Software/Desktop..Probably to busy writing it!

No Offense, just an observation (pause) and a few bottles of Smirnoff