gnome terminal vs. linux console

Where does gnome-terminal pick up settings that differ from the console?

For example, 'locale' on the console shows everything as 'en_US' but in
gnome-terminal it shows as 'english'.

But my main problem is that accented characters aren't handled properly
in gnome-terminal but they are in the console. 'less' just truncates the
accented character and whatever follows. 'vim' gets so totally confused
that I can't edit anything in French in gnome-terminal.

Also, in trying to solve the problem, I changed the font and now I can't
get back to whatever font was used by default.

This behavior changed at a recent upgrade. I didn't use to have the
problem.

running debian linux:
ii  gnome-terminal      1.4.0.6-5

--
"[T]he price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is
life itself -- ultimate cost for perfect value."