Restoring desktop configuration

Something wreaked havoc on my Gnome-desktop last week. I believe it
was Galeon having loaded a website that threw up a bunch of "install
crap" dialogs. I lost my panels and all toolbars and buttons on
windows. I could use the terminal for instance but could not move,
resize or configure options. After logging in again, the same thing
happened. There was an error message, but that vanished before I
could read it. Something about a deskguide I think.

I killed X and went in to my Gnome dotfiles. I couldn't find
anything obvious. In the end I made a backup of anything closely
related to Gnome in ~/ and removed the original files. After that, I
had a fresh setup and copied back my most important settings.

It is safe to assume that something like this will happen again some
time. What then are the obvious files to remove? I guess files
regarding to sessions and dynamic config-files. Which are these?

I am running Sawfish 1.0.1 and the Gnome from Debian/testing. Can't
find out quickly which one that is. Let me know if that is important.

On a related note, is there something like a Gnome-user community
apart from this list akin to what you will find when you hit the
homepage of that other desktop environment.

Thanks for any information,

Bob