Re: How do I customize my login window? Not sure where to begin???

Gimp would be the right tool for some aspects of this.
For gdm there's also /etc/gdm/gdm.conf (or something like that) and for
gdm2 there is the ability for theming. For that you'll need to edit an
XML theme file, but you'll still want to be using gimp (or something
similar) for editing graphics.

--Ben