Re: Starting Gnome2

Check the ~/.xsession-errors file for the user.  It will contain any
errors that occured while trying to start the GNOME2
daemons/applications/etc.

You might also, after trying to log in but before killing X, switch to a
console and run ps ax.  See if any applications besides X is running
(for example, is gnome-session running but maybe locked up, etc.)