Re: Menus - I dont' get gnome2 (reprise)

On Thu, 2002-07-04 at 04:32, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 07:08:35AM -0400, bordoley msu edu wrote:
> > The point is that having kill in the window list menu is pretty crack, . . .
>
> There's no need or reason to call it crack. Indeed, you may confuse people
> by calling it that.
>
> ----------
> >From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44 [gcide]:
>
>   Crack \Crack\, a.
>      Of superior excellence; having qualities to be boasted of;
>      as, a crack shot. [Colloq.]
>      [1913 Webster]
>
>            One of our crack speakers in the Commons. --Dickens.
>      [1913 Webster]
>
> >From WordNet (r) 1.7 [wn]:
>
>   crack
>        adj : (informal) of the highest quality; "an ace reporter"; "a
>              crack shot"; "a first-rate golfer"; "a super party";
>              "played top-notch tennis"; "an athlete in tiptop
>              condition"; "she is absolutely tops" [syn: {ace}, {A-one},
>               {first-rate}, {super}, {tiptop}, {topnotch}, {tops(p)}]
> ----------
>
> Call it bad, an error, or something other unambiguous evaluation - and
> say why. You can also just state the reason if it's clear by that reason
> you mean to indicate it is bad. The relentless use of the word crack to
> describe things considered bad is bad. It is ambiguous, offensive, and not
> constructive. That expression indicates a poor quality of education and
> closer association with people who really do use the drug; the better
> educated have plenty of other words to use and those more than 2 degrees
> separated from drug users probably don't know what is meant.

Crack!

> >                                                                  . . . since
> > ideally programs should never crash. (plus kill in the window list was xkill
> > so it just disconnected the app from the xserver). A better solution to this
> > problem is the one provided by metacity. If a program becomes unresponsive,
> > metacity popups a dialog asking the user if they want to kill the
> > application. But metacity actually kills the app using killall. This is a
> > much better ui overall.

This sounds much better if only the other apps I use behaved, Metacity
would be great. Unfortunately starting things like Galeon on a different
workspace just doesn't work right now and Metacity/Galeon won't remember
where it started.

--
George Farris - VE7FRG
George gmsys com