unable to retrieve Gnome installation directory

Hello All,
I searched the archives for this problem but there
was no answer to the one time it was brought up.

I have successfully compiled gnome 1.4 on Redhat 7.2
following the gnome installation guide (gig).
However, even though it starts up I get the message
"Unable to retrieve Gnome installation directory" . I
also get this message when I try to launch
"Menu Editor" under "settings". I can't figure out
what is causing this error.
I have added "/usr/local/gnome/lib" to
/etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig several times
before. Does not help. Any advice about how to
specify the gnome installation directory?
Or what exactly is going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Rico.