RE: GNOME 1.4 display problems on Sol 8x86

Repost to fix address problem.
-Ian Duff.
-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Duff [mailto:iduff mediaone net]
Sent: Thursday, 24 January 2002 09:04
To: Gnome-List (E-mail); Solaris on Intel (E-mail)
Subject: GNOME 1.4 display problems on Sol 8x86

Curious problem, very irritating but not fatal:

I have Solaris 8 x86, build 10/01, patch cluster dated 01/04/2002 (I think)
using Sun's port of the XFree video driver, running on my IBM ThinkPad T20
with a Savage/IX video chipset, running GNOME 1.4 as downloaded from Sun.
When I kdmconfig the T20 to use the Savage video driver, I can only
successfully use 8 or 16 bit color depth, and GNOME runs fine (albeit a bit
grainy, due to the reduced color depth). When I kdmconfig the T20 to use the
VESA driver at 24 bit color depth, the kdmconfig test passes, and CDE works
fine. GNOME doesn't work fine. The video is all screwy, looking like maybe a
sync problem. I can successfully exit GNOME, and reset the video to a lower
color depth, or to the Savage driver, after which GNOME works fine.

Am I doing something wrong? Why does kdmconfig look fine, CDE work fine, yet
GNOME hurl? Curious minds want to know...

-Ian Duff.