Re: MIME type problems in Gnome 1.4

Cedric wrote:

Hello all,

I have a problem with MIME file type settings in Gnome 1.4. I want to be
able to open rtf files with the Ted application by double-clicking on them
in gmc. So I tried doing this by opening the Edit MIME type option in the
Commands menu of gmc and editing the rtf file type.

The Edit Mime Type menu seems to be a dummy for me, it never worked either on Solaris, or Mandake 8.0 nor on
Mandrake 8.1.

The solution is that gmc has it's own Mime types, and doesn't take the ones set in the Gnome Control Center I took a long time to find out that I have to edit /usr/share/mc/mc.keys to get Mime Types in Gmc working.

NOTE*** the mc.keys file could be in another directory, but normally I think it's /usr/share/mc

Weird thing is i'm able to get double-click to work but only in Nautilus if
I use the File and programs types (Im using Gnome Control Center 1.5.9).
But that only works until I close Nautilus cause when I open it again its
not working anymore and it opens Abiword by default. And it has no effect
in gmc.

Yes Nautilus, takes Settings from Control Center.

Carsten

P.S I hope that this things are really better in Gnome2