Gnome On Solaris Workspaces

Hi All,
I've just installed Gnome 1.4 on Solaris 2.8 (Sparc version, not Intel).

There are a couple of small problems (probably related). I am unable to
use the Workspaces tab on the Sawfish configuration tool (from within
the Gnome Control Center). When I select it (click on the tab), it
flashes very quickly with the expected display, then goes blank and
hangs the Control Center.

Similarly, when I try to add a Desk Guide applet to the Panel, the
applet is displayed for just an instant, then goes away and an error
message asks if I want to try to "reload" the applet. When I  "reload"
the applet, it just does the same thing over and over.

Has anyone else seen, or overcome this problem?

TIA, Matt