Re: Gnome On Solaris Workspaces

Hi,

mattm wrote:

> I've just installed Gnome 1.4 on Solaris 2.8 (Sparc version, not Intel).
>
> There are a couple of small problems (probably related). I am unable to
> use the Workspaces tab on the Sawfish configuration tool (from within
> the Gnome Control Center). When I select it (click on the tab), it
> flashes very quickly with the expected display, then goes blank and
> hangs the Control Center.

I suggest to start the Control Center (gnomecc) from a terminal window so
you can see the error messages.

> Similarly, when I try to add a Desk Guide applet to the Panel, the
> applet is displayed for just an instant, then goes away and an error
> message asks if I want to try to "reload" the applet. When I  "reload"
> the applet, it just does the same thing over and over.

Again, you can run deskguide_applet from a terminal, or you can look for
error messages in $HOME/.dt/sessionlogs/

> Has anyone else seen, or overcome this problem?

My personal guess would be that you have something in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH
that conflicts with GNOME. Run ldd /opt/gnome-1.4/bin/deskguide_applet to
find out what libraries it will try to use. Anything that is not in
/usr/lib or /opt/gnome-1.4/lib is a problem.

Hope this helps.

Laca