glib not recognizing installed GNU xgettext

I'm doing some preliminary playing with gnome2 on OSX, and glib is for
some reason not recognizing my xgettext.  When I run configure I get

checking for LC_MESSAGES... no
checking for libintl.h... no
found xgettext program is not GNU xgettext; ignore it
configure: error:
*** You must have either have gettext support in your C library, or use the
*** GNU gettext library.  (

...but I do have GNU xgettext installed:

[localhost:~/cvs/gnome2/glib] ranger% which xgettext
[localhost:~/cvs/gnome2/glib] ranger% /sw/bin/xgettext --version
xgettext (GNU gettext) 0.10.40

Any idea what's going on?

Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger befunk com) /
...if humanoids eat chicken, then obviously they'd eat their own
species.  Otherwise they'd just be picking on the chickens. -- Kryten