evolution vs sawfish

I use sawfish with enter-exit focus. If I have evolution open, with a
gnome-terminal on either side, and try to move focus from one terminal
to the other quickly, evolution gets the focus even if the mouse ends
up over the terminal. If I move more slowly (so that evolution is
visibly focused before I move to the other terminal) then everything
works as expected. This doesn't happen if I do the same thing with
galeon, or other terminals. It looks as if evolution is grabbing the
focus and refusing to let go.

Has anyone else seen this and have a workaround?

(If anyone wants to suggest an alternate mail reader, please do, but
I've already tried and rejected exmh, kmail, sylpheed, balsa and mutt
for a variety of reasons).

Regards,

Chris