Gnome themes

I've been trying to import new themes using the gnome control center app;
however, while it lets me switch between any theme extant in the 'available
themes' list, it does not let me add to that list via the 'install new
themes...' process.  I click the button, point to the tarball for the new
theme and it grinds for a split second then returns to the list without
having added the new theme.  I checked my ~/.themes folder and the theme is
added there, but it doesn't show up in the list.  I've looked online for
similar problems, but no dice.  I've tried installing it as root and as a
plain ol' user.  I've looked around for an answer, but none seems
forthcoming.  Have I missed something obvious?

-Tom Caudron