Re: "System" font

On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 07:56, David Hampton wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 08:18, Lionel Lecoq wrote:
>
> I'm running RedHat 7.2 with Ximian Gnome and XFree86 4.2.0.
> Xconfigurator doesn't recognixe the Matrox G550, but its the same driver
> as for the G450 and the X log file does explicitly call it by the name
> G550 so it is recognized.  I didn't ask on the X list because this
> problem seemes like a GTK/Gnome font size problem, not an X install
> problem.  Everything else works fine, its just that the menu font is way
> too large.

Have you looked at the theme settings in the control center, try
selecting a custom font rather than the one used for the theme.

I think (but am not sure) that fonts used by X are chosen by the DPI of
the current resolution, so if when installing you new card you changed
the default resolution of your screen the X font server might be
grabbing the wrong font.

Also look at  the man page for xfs, you can change the order that it
looks up fonts, for example have it use 100 dpi fonts first then 75 dpi
fonts or the other way around.

--

  Rob Brown-Bayliss