Gnome kills all sound, Enlightenment on its own works

Hi there,
I have not upgraded to version 2 yet I'd actually like to hold off a while.

I am able to get sound in Enlightenment (going directly to OSS, NOT using esd when running XMMS) when Enlightenment is run on its own, but when I run Gnome on top of it, no sound can be heard at all and it occasionally quite often locks up XMMS if you try to use that to test the sound.

If I can, I'd like to stay playing directly through OSS rather than loading up something like esd, I've tried that, can switch playback for XMMS to run through eSound and it's happy, but the Gnome sounds don't play so it doesn't solve the problem (that and esd isn't that great for music playback anyway).

Does anyone know what I need to do to Gnome to resolve this apparent conflict?