Re: Which Package

Depends. ;-) If you want to use plain Redhat Gnome, then stick with the
Redhat packages. And unsubscribe from the Ximian channel - and keep the
Redhat channel. If you want to run Ximian Gnome (which I recommened,
because it tends to be more uptodate), install the ximian packages.

The Red Hat up2date covers a lot more than just "RedHat Gnome", plus to some degree you can configure it so it's only sending you the e-mails you want. I find up2date very helpful for getting upgrades to their system packages - things that aren't part of Ximian Gnome obviously (like when SendMail has a vulnerability fix).

The Red Hat channel that's on Red Carpet isn't really a good tool for the security/bugfix stuff because frankly it lags significantly behind the Red Hat Network (up2date) information, plus (as you've seen) it sometimes runs counter to the Ximian Gnome channel. I'd say keep up2date and Red Carpet, but unsubscribe from the Red Hat channel.

--
Travis Saling
Webmaster, UW Electrical Engineering