gmc where did it go?

In using gnome over a LAN connection I further realised that nautilus is
just WAY too slow to use it for the desktop and filemanager.  It offers
more, but is too heavy to perform that simple task.  It is really
unfortunate that it has taken the place of the old file manager which
was much lighter and did everything it was supposed to just fine.

That said, where is the old one?  I tried finding it on freshmeat and
the gnome site and couldn't.  I think that I would really preffer to use
it, for the most part I have been not using the desktop because nautilus
is just too heavy...even on my TBird.  Hell, it won't even start up with
gnome so what the hell?

So if anyone can direct me to gmc cool...and a suggestion to the gnome
developers...nautilus sucks dog dung.  There are just numerous things
broken about it from a useability standpoint and should never have
replaced an operational component.  Having something that heavy in
charge of the desktop icons is not at all necissary and was a big big
mistake.