gnome-libs-1.4.1.1 compile problem

I am trying to compile gnome-libs-1.4.1.1 and am getting the following
configure error.

checking for dbopen... no
checking for dbopen in -ldb1... no
checking for dbopen in -ldb... no
checking for __db185_open in -ldb-3... yes
checking for db_185.h... no
checking for db1/db.h... no
configure: error: Berkeley db library required for Gnome

Initially the error was that I did not have db_185 available.
I downloaded, complied and installed it into $prefix.  It seems that the
library is now being found above, but the message has changed.  I tried
./configure --enable-prefer-db1 --prefix=$prefix, but to no avail.  The
include file db_185.h is in $prefix/include, but configure is not
finding it.

Any ideas on what I have done wrong?

thanks,
daveP